Friday, August 31, 2012

Sweet Tweet-Back Backwards News

I'm on Twitter, but I've never been a big participant in it.  I've posted the occasional tweet, or retweeted some, but mostly I've just lurked, reading what others write.  Part of the problem is that it's so immediate.  People don't tweet about what they did today, they tweet about what they're doing right now.  If you wait a few hours to catch up, you'll be reading after the moment has passed, like hearing people talk about a great party that you missed.

But sometimes going back and reading tweets from hours past can be useful, because you can treat it as a way of condensing reality.  A great example was just last night.  I didn't watch the final night of the Republican convention, but by scanning through tweets, I can get a nice summary.  So without sitting through all the speeches and ceremonies, I know that all I need to know about the night is: Eastwood talked to a chair.  Now I know enough about the event to understand the next week's worth of late night talk show monologues.

No comments:

Post a Comment