Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Don't Trust the X in Apartment 23

About a week ago, my building's super passed out a sheet of contact information for us to fill out.  That's pretty funny in itself - the people who run the building where we live need to know how to get in contact with us.  It's also a nice bit of nostalgia that they want us to fill in information by writing on paper.  No web site, no QR code to find the web site, just a paper form.  And not even a place to write in our e-mail address.

But what's interesting is that they taped it to our doors to ensure it didn't get lost.  And now, a week later, a few of them are still affixed to the doors on my floor.  That has me wondering:  Have these people really not been out in over a week?  They could be empty apartments.  But there isn't much oversupply in the city's rental market.  It could just be that they can't be bothered to fill out the form, so they've left it there.  But then, I've also seen other stuff - like phone books - left at apartment doors for long periods of time.

I'm not sure what to make of this.  There are a lot of seniors in this building, they could have a quiet life without much activity.  But the seniors are surprisingly active, even if it's only strolling down the hallway.  It's not a subsidised building, so the mystery renters must have some sort of income.  They also have to plan their grocery purchase well: none of my shopping without a list, oh, I can run out again in a few days if I forget something.

So I've pieced together this idea of a well-organised telecommuter with a zen-like satisfaction with solitude.  That makes me feel better.  Or I can just take solace in not being the most anti-social person on my floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment