Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Do You Believe?

I'm amused at the sort-of controversy about Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen.  People speculated that she may have used performance enhancing drugs.   More than anything, I'm amused at the people who say, "well, nothing's been proven."  It's refreshing to see such an wide eyed, uncynical attitude, but I can't help wonder what these people are like elsewhere in life, say at a magic show:
"Oh my God, he sawed that woman in half!"
"I'm sure he didn't really; there's probably a simple explanation."
"Yeah, but until you have any proof, we have to believe he actually cut her in half!"

But I'll try to keep an open mind: there are plenty of completely innocent explanations as to how a teenage girl beat the top man in the world in an activity that's mostly determined by upper-body strength.  For instance, she could have been bitten by a radioactive spider.

No comments:

Post a Comment