Saturday, August 4, 2012

Things That Never Change

I guess I've reached the point where I feel like I have some sort of experience.  I think it comes from having survived more than one generation.  Many of my contemporaries are raising families now, and many of those children are into their teens.  Those folks have probably learned great insights into the human experience.

I, on the other hand, have no children, and thus I have only great insights into popular culture. I survived the Eighties, and now I've survived seeing them get retro chic.  In all that time, I've noticed that for all the change in the world, some things remain constant.  So I thought I'd do what I could, and start passing that knowledge on, as it occurs to me.

The first instalment, in keeping with the Olympics is this: Athletes retire, records fall, sports come and go.  But you can rely on Nike to never sponsor the Olympics, then come up with a clever ad that comes as close as it can to referring to the games without actually mentioning them.

No comments:

Post a Comment