Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Loss Leaders And Dance Numbers

I have a counter to yesterday's post about how I've lost touch with fashion.  It's time for back-to-school sales again.  On the one hand, after more than a decade out of school, I am finally over the spastic twitch I used to experience every year when I got that first reminder that summer was scour to end.

But on the other hand, I'm still somewhat in-tune with youth culture, since I can still tell that stores' attempts to look cool to teenagers are pretty laughable.  In my day it was pretty easy, I guess.  You just put binder-paper on sale at 10¢ for a thousand sheets, and wait for the parents to come in and buy over priced binders and pencil crayons.  Now you're trying to sell electronics - and the parents don't understand them, so you have to appeal directly to the kids.  And that's how we end up watching teens dancing through school with laptops during commercial breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment