Monday, August 13, 2012

Aging Progress

I think I've figured out exactly how it is that old people come to feel old.  See I was just waiting to cross the street at a stoplight, and I saw an old lady walking towards me on the sidewalk.  But as she approached, I started to realize that she wasn't old; in fact, she was younger than me.

So how could I have made such a mistake?  It was her sunglasses.  She was wearing giant, round sunglasses.  Those are stylish now, but I have years of experience thinking of then as old-lady-glasses.

And that's the maturity dilemma.  As I recently observed, once you get to pushing forty, you've seen everything be in and out at least once, and fashion is no longer instinctual.  And once you have to think about it, it becomes to easy to just say screw it, I'm wearing something comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment