Friday, March 8, 2013

We Must Be Cursed

Remember when Harry Potter and friends went to see the World Cup of Quidditch in (pause while I look it up) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire?  That made me wonder, what the Canadian Quidditch team would be like.

I'm not holding much hope for them.  I'm picturing a rag-tag group of part-time wizards, maybe the Sasquatch too if he's allowed to play.  And instead of using the advanced brooms like the Firebolt or Nimbus 2000, they probably get by with brooms from CCM, or Canadian Tire's Magicmaster brand.  Or maybe they just use enchanted curling brooms. 

How can I know all this?  It's the simple formula that it's a Canadian team playing a sport that involves neither ice nor Christine Sinclair.  As such, we just don't seem to have a chance.  I say this after my latest exasperating experience cheering for the red and white, when they're playing on the green. 

Yes, today we lost our opening game of the World Baseball Classic to Italy.  Yes, that Italy, the one in Europe, the continent where most people don't know what baseball is.  And the game ended in the eighth inning because of the mercy rule.  Yes, the rule that prevented you from getting humiliated in grade five gym class, and was probably put into this tournament to protect teams like Italy from us, was invoked against us.

What I'm getting tired of is not our inability to win championships - I'm a realist, I know we're not going to knock off Japan.  I just wish we could occasionally overachieve.  Or at least live up to expectations.  Or not go away embarrassed.

1 comment:

  1. Revenge will come when we beat Italy in the Davis Cup quarterfinals ... also on Rogers Sportsnet: Your channel for the stuff TSN couldn't bother to pick up the rights for.

    ReplyDelete