Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Japanese Restaurants, Mosques, Doctor's Offices?

So I walk into the doctor’s office, and there’s a big sign in the entryway asking everyone to take off their shoes upon entering.  They do this during the winter months, and I know from the past that people do generally follow this request.  But now it’s near the end of winter - there’s still some snow on the ground, but the temperature is above zero and the ground is mostly dry.  So do I follow the instructions?  It doesn’t get any better when I get inside: there are only a couple of people in the waiting area, and one pair of boots on the big mat where people usually leave their footwear.

So what do I do?  Kindly follow the directions of the handmade bristol board sign that someone obviously put a lot of work into and in the process timidly bend to imposed authority?  Or ignore the directions and stand up for common sense and in the process be one of those arrogant jerks who feels he’s above the rules? 

I went with the former, and took off my shoes.  As I waited, several others came in, and none of them took off their shoes, so I look like an idiot in my socks surrounded by people wearing shoes.  So when society collapses, don’t blame me: I’ve been a martyr for law and order.

No comments:

Post a Comment