Saturday, March 2, 2013

One More Chance To Use The "Oscar" Tag

There's been plenty of criticism of Seth MacFarlane's hosting of the Oscars this year.  I can't comment on the claims that it was sexist because I didn't see much of the show, particularly the now infamous "We Saw Your Boobs" song.  But a lot of the criticism is just about him not being funny, and there I think people need a little perspective.

It all reminds me of when David Letterman hosted in 1995.  I've never been a big fan of Letterman's humour, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.  As I saw it, here's what happened:
  • Letterman host a talk show.  He and the show are widely praised.
  • His humourous reputation gets him a gig hosting the Oscars.
  • He hosts the show, doing exadtly the same kind of jokes he does on his talkshow.
  • His hosting of the Oscars is considered an embarrassing failure.

MacFarlane follows much the same pattern of host-gets-criticised-for-doing-what-got-him-the-hosting-job.  It all underlines the problem that even the organizers of the Oscar show don't seem to get: being considered funny by everyone in modern society is really difficult, and getting near impossible.  In the 500 channel universe, there really aren't any Bob Hope-like pan-cultural comedy touchstones anymore.

A few people pointed to Tina Fey as a possible host.  I think she's one of the few people who might actually be able to pull it off.  Unfortunately she has flatly refused.  And I can understand that, given people's high expectations.  So the job of Oscar Host could become like the job of Republican Presidential Candidate: anyone with the skills to be good at it will also have the skills to realise it's a thanklessly impossible job.

No comments:

Post a Comment