Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Try Again, Vivaldi

Spring is supposed to be a time for new beginnings.  In the natural world, it certainly is.  But I don't live in nature.  I'm a human being; I live in an artificial world with its own rules.  And it seems that one of the differences between the human world and the natural world is when things start.  For some reason, artificial things mostly start in the fall.  Particularly the first week of September.  School starts, new TV shows debut, financial years start.  But there's lots of little changes too:  here and there the familiar shifts just slightly, and you spend a week reorienting yourself.  Oh, Rachel Ray is on an hour earlier, McDonald's boxes are corrugated now, half the tenants in the building have changed.  And all my ancestors had were blooming flowers.

2 comments:

  1. Andy Rooney once had a rant (sorry, "A few minutes") about this, that Labour Day is the real New Year's Day. I'm sure you wanted to be compared to a curmudgeon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm resigned to the curmudgeon career track.

    ReplyDelete