Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Best @#*&$ Blog Post On The Internet

I remember reading (in the Book of Lists, I think) that the various symbols used in comic strips to denote swearing all have names.  A quick scan of the Internet revealed the following names: nittles, grawlix, quimps, and jams.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find anywhere that said which symbol has which name.  I could only find:
  • quimp = Saturn
  • grawlix = spiral

I can't believe it: there is still information in a book that is not yet available on the Internet. 

But what made me think about this is the way I treat these symbols: I don't remember how I read them as a child, but I find that now - after years of more mature entertainment - I have to read them to myself with the actual swear word that the character was probably meaning.  Let me tell you, it's a weird experience to hear Hagar The Horrible using the F-word when addressing his troops.

No comments:

Post a Comment