Friday, September 14, 2012

A Tweetpost on My Blogpage

I just recently recognised another thing I'm sick of:  People ironically referring to the Internet as "The Internets" or "The Interweb."  Okay, I get it, you're making fun of the way a person's out-of-touch uncle who's never been online might describe it.  But what you have to understand is this:
  • People have been making fun of the off-line since the Internet started to go mainstream twenty years ago.
  • There's hardly anyone left who's oblivious to the Internet, so you're just making fun of people from the past, so you're humour is about as current as a joke about Betamax users.
And no, enhancing it to "Teh Internets" just makes it worse.  If you have to do some retro Internet humour, why not dig out "Information Superhighway" again.  I haven't heard that phrase in at least ten years; I don't even feel nauseous when I type it.

1 comment: