Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Terrifying News

Anniversaries can make you feel old.  Can you believe Star Trek: The Next Generation started 25 years ago?  But I've recently found that there is something that can make you feel even older, and that is outliving the bad-taste shroud around a major tragedy.  In other words:  I can't believe Chernobyl was so long ago that it's safe to make a horror movie about it.  I'm assuming the time needed to safely make jokes about it is longer, so I'll wait another decade or two.

I was surprised when I saw the first ad for this movie, but it just got worse when the newest ad showed a clip of the needed scene where they explain what Chernobyl was to today's movie viewers, who are of course too young to know.  But that triggered another concern: Did my generation go to movies that made light of tragedies of the past?  I know there was no Three-Mile-Island Diaries.  But maybe it turns out something bad actually happened on Elm Street.  Our apologies for any offence.

The other question is how horror movies of the future are going to use the events of today.  The economy may be scary, but I don't see that as the basis of a horror franchise.  The best they're going to do is set their movie on an incompetently-run cruise ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment