Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Taking the Bait

That little symbolic fish you see on the backs of cars is actually a symbol of Christianity.  In Greek, the phrase (pause while he looks it up) "Jesus Christ, God's Son, Saviour" spells Fish, and thus the fish became an early symbol of the religion.  That's why the fish often has "Jesus" or "ΙΧΘΥΣ" in it.

But as with anything attached to the back of cars, people can't leave well enough alone.  Your truck has Calvin peeing on Jeff Gordon's car, so my truck has him peeing on Tony Stewart.  Similarly, smart-assed atheists added legs to the fish and put "Darwin" in the middle. 

What's weird is just how few people notice these affirmations of belief going on around them.  Once I was walking through a parking lot and I saw a Christian's car with a fish marked "Truth" eating the "Darwin" evolved fish.  I pointed it out to a friend, who had no idea about any of this, so I had to explain the entire backstory, thus looking like a freak for following this slow-motion debate that most people don't notice.

Generally that's how it goes.  Whenever I have had reason to point out these emblems, Christian and Atheist alike usually have no idea what they are for.  I think it has something to do with Toyota, Hyundai, Ford, and other car makers that have oval-shaped logos.  The fish, salamanders and others just blend in.  So I wonder if anyone goes the other way and mistakes the company logo for a religious statement.  Especially Toyota, who's logo looks vaguely devilish.

Anyway, what triggered all this is that today, I saw a fish with the Star of David in it.  Okay, now even I'm confused.  Is it Jews for Jesus?  Even smarter-assed Atheists just trying to confuse people?  Jews who just like fish?

No comments:

Post a Comment