Monday, May 28, 2012

The Nerds have the Screen Printer

I've been really amazed at just how many geeky t-shirts are for sale on the Internet, such as at TeeFury or Qwertee.

So who is buying all these t-shirts?  I know, geeks.  But living in a high-tech mecca, you would expect that I'd occasionally see one.  A few weeks ago, I saw someone with a "Han Shot First" shirt, but that's pretty old-hat when it comes to geek self-expression.

But it's more than just lightweight geekery that any dedicated Big Bang Theory viewer would get. Now I see that the shirts are getting to new levels of obscurity.  Take a look at this "The Angels Have the Delorean" shirt.  To bring the uninitiated up to speed: in one of the more memorable Doctor Who episodes, a character mentions having a T-shirt that reads, "The Angels have the Phonebooth" (trust me, it made sense at the time.)  Of course, someone actually started selling such shirts.  It's hard to believe that alone makes economic sense.  But then someone else said, never mind T-shirts referencing a single line from Doctor Who; that's not esoteric enough.  Let's cross that with a Back To the Future reference. 

Why stop there?  They had a phonebooth in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, can you work that into it?  Oh, you can.  Well how about Superman?  Ah.

I think the real question is: why am I the only geek who can draw yet is not designing T-shirts?

No comments:

Post a Comment