Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Down With Corporate Drinks

Extending my previous post about hipsters taking over grocery stores, I found new evidence of the non-mainstreaming of our food vendors. On one of the signs at the end of an aisle, it notified us that in addition to juice and bottled water, this particular aisle has something called "Alternate Beverages." 

First of all, that's "Indie Beverages," grandpa.  I went down the aisle looking for them, but I'm still not sure which particular drinks they were referring to.  Was it:
  • Vitamin Water?  That's kind of an alternative to water.  But it's The Man's water.
  • Jones Soda?  It's always seemed like too-cool cola.
  • Crystal Light and other "water-enhancers"?  Nah, water is the lo-fi of the beverage world, and Crystal Light is the pitch-shifter.
  • Brio, Irn-Bru, Orangana and other lesser-known or foreign soft-drinks?  I've always wondered who is buying these things.  If I find them for sale at downtown convenience stores, then that'll confirm it.

No comments:

Post a Comment