Friday, November 30, 2012

In Zelda We Trust

Yesterday, while virtual-driving in Gran Turismo I tried driving on the all-ice track for the first time.  And then today, I had to drive in icy conditions for he first time this year.  I guess the practice was useful.  Though I assure you I was much more careful in real life, rarely attempting to drift through the turns on Highway 7.

(As an aside, thank you, Samsung spell checker, for interpreting "Gran Turismo" as "Grain Tourism."  I notice it had no problem spelling "Samsung," however.  Let me try something: "Hyundai."  I think overly nationalistic programmers have made it to only work reliably with Korean names.  "Seoul," "kimchi,"  "Gangway Style" well, maybe not.)

But back to my main point: I apparently have a weird gift of prophecy through video games.  It's impressive; many other drivers on the road with me had predictive skills that were not in any way supernatural, and they were not even able to see the obvious consequences of their actions.  Guys, when you've just driven past two cars in the ditch - one on it's side - then you come up on traffic doing 50 in a 90, heading to the passing lane isn't the best idea. 

But, video game gods, much as I do appreciate this gift, well, a few weeks ago in the game I won a Porsche in a race.  Was it too much to ask for that to be the event that played out in real life?  Okay, I guess if I had won a Porsche in real life, I would have totalled it driving today.  Game gods, you are wise indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment