Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Horse On The Force Is A Horse, Of Course

The local police force has a couple of horses, and today they showed up on a street I was walking down.  I didn't see the horses themselves, but - how to put this delicately - I saw evidence that a horse had recently been there.  Or a large and unwell dog; I hope it was a horse.

This isn't even the first time I've seen the unpleasant remnants of the police horses' presence.  And it has me asking, isn't there a law against allowing a large mammal to take a dump on a public street?  I mean, we have stoop-and-scoop laws. 

See, it was a little controversial when they first got the horses a few years ago.  Yes, there are some areas where horses are very useful, such as crowd control.  But we don't have a lot of use for them here, and there are of course some start-up costs associated with getting your first police horses, like getting a stable.  Thus, many suspected it was just because someone at the police department wanted a horse. 

So I have to ask, how many crimes do you suppose the horses have prevented, and does it exceed the number of "crimes" the horses have deposited on the streets?

No comments:

Post a Comment