Thursday, July 23, 2015

I'm Sure You Weren't Looking For This Post

Searching based on text is a difficult thing.  Sure, it seems simple: if someone types in a word, you find things containing that word.  But people don't always spell things correctly.  That leads to Google's condescending "did you mean" or "showing results for" features.  They're slightly insulting, but less confusing than returning with a page of gibberish results matched to mistyped search terms.

But then the concept can be taken to ridiculous extremes.  For instance, there's probably more people who Google "kitchens" than my home of "Kitchener."  Should Google try to correct me by assuming I was looking for a new kitchen?  Fortunately it doesn't.

But then I was at Google's app store, searching for the oddly-named game, "Depths of Isolation" (which is just a physics puzzler, not as depressing as it's name would indicate.)  That's an unusual title, and its a new and little-known game, but still, I wasn't prepared for the store's search to return this:


Yes, even though there was an app that matched my search term exactly, it gave me a page-and-a-half of popular but completely unrelated apps first.  This would seem to be the Ikea model of searching: We'll get you what you want, but we'll make you walk past everything else in the store first.

No comments:

Post a Comment