Monday, July 13, 2015

From Uber Down To Snapchat, I Must Have Bought Them All

I was just at Google Play, which is the name Google gives to its app store. I noticed a game called “Pinball Wizard.” And I thought fine, they’re naming it after The Who’s song, that’s clever. But then I realized that the icon they had chosen was the actual album cover, which is surely a copyright violation.

But alas, the joke was on me. Google Play fancies itself a vendor of all sorts of media, and I had unknowingly scrolled down passed the array of apps, and into the music section. This wasn’t an app, it was the actual recording of The Who’s "Pinball Wizard."

That makes me wonder just how often this sort of thing happens, and how many times people actually buy the wrong thing. I had already figured that a few people every year must confuse Sue Grafton’s V is for Vengeance and Alan Moore’s V for Vendetta. But now that you can easily confuse items that aren’t even the same media, there’s a whole new level of mistaken identity. When Canadian musician Owen Pallett went by the name Final Fantasy, he may have been on to something.

No comments:

Post a Comment