Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Forced Deduction

You sometimes see hood scoops on cars. These are to get more air to the engine. Though a lot of them are fake and just there to make the car look cooler. Some cars come with them, but many are added by the owner.

I imagine that adding a hood scoop would be a fair amount of work. You’d have to cut the hole in the hood, attach the scoop with welds or some sort of adhesive, smooth out any imperfections, then paint, all the while making sure the measurements line up right. You might do this yourself, or you might pay a bodyshop to have it done. It will take some time, during which you are either doing the work yourself, or waiting for it to be done.

My point is, you will have plenty of time to think. I saw a guy driving a vehicle with a custom hood scoop today, and he should have used this time to ask questions. Questions like, why am I putting a hood scoop in a minivan? Since it is a minivan, and I use it to drive my kids around, would they really want to be seen in this vehicle now? Is this supposed to be some kind of irony? Is this a desperate attempt to look cool, like a kind of minimal mid-life crisis? Am I trying to start some new branch of tuner culture, seriously believing that Vin Diesel will be driving a souped-up minivan somewhere around Fast and Furious 12?

No comments:

Post a Comment