Wednesday, May 28, 2014

V's Are Everywhere You Want To Be

After yesterday's difficult post, I'd like to explore an unimportant and less serious topic: What is with all the superfluous V's in the names of indie rock bands?

Wavves and Chvrches have been around for a few years now. But now I see that there's a band called Alvvays. (I like their sound; they bring back pleasant 90's memories.) While I realize that band name trends come and go, but this seems strange.

I could see using strange spellings of words: online promotion is so important these days that the band would want to have their own web site or Twitter handle. It says something that it's more important to know the spellings of band names than the pronunciation. I've heard people pronounce Wavves and Chvrches as "waves" and "churches." But I don't know if Alvvays should be "always" as most English speakers would pronounce it, or as a hack actor impersonating a German interrogator.

And what's so special about V? It's had two TV series. And V For Vendetta has an art/rebellion vibe musicians would appreciate. Though it's not just music: there's also an indie video game called VVVVVV. (Great game, try the online demo. It brings back pleasant 80's memories)  I know I'm not going to complain too much about V's; after over use of iWords and X-things, the rest of the alphabet should get in on the action.

No comments:

Post a Comment