Wednesday, April 9, 2014

This Much I Know

Of course, I have no idea whether Oscar Pistorius murdered Reeva Steenkamp. So as far as I know, any one of the following is true:
  • He meant to kill her and is lying to stay out of jail.
  • It really was an accident.
  • He meant to kill her, but has deluded himself into thinking it was an accident.
Like I say, I have no idea. Any of these could be the reality; I'm just exploring the possibilities. So when he is testifying, we are hearing, respectively,
  • The lies of a heartless man.
  • The sorrows of an inconsolable man.
  • The delusions of a mentally ill man.
Again, there is no way of knowing. But my question is: do you really want to hear any of this? News reports seem to love reveling in Pistoius's tearful testimony, and play long stretches of them. But why would anyone want to hear cold manipulation / terrifying flashbacks / shattered imaginings? Sure, report on the trial, but there's no need to turn it into a reality show.  So please, media, have some decency and don't assume that emotional scenes imply intrigue.

No comments:

Post a Comment