Thursday, April 3, 2014

Beer Essentials

I remember one time in university there was a big party. I wasn’t involved in it, but I got to see the aftermath. It was one of those parties that leaves a room out of commission for a few days, if not weeks. Where you step carefully through the debris, because you know there’s a good chance of stepping on either broken glass or someone passed out.

Anyway, while inspecting the aftermath, I found that there were only two types of beer available at this party. One was Molson XXX, the high-alcohol choice of the nineties. And the other was Coors Light. That seemed odd: you get a choice of one extreme or the other. I wonder what food choices they had; deep-fried Mars bars or rice cakes? I’m joking of course: this sort of party doesn’t have food.

For that matter, it doesn’t usually have light beer. I rarely drink, so I am no expert in beer culture, but I was under the impression that light beer is something you drink if you don’t want to get drunk, or are concerned about your health. So why would it even make an appearance at a drink-’til-you-pass-out party? 

I'm reminded of this because Coors Light is now advertising their "vented" cans, in which there is a second opening to let air in as you pour, allowing the beer to pour out faster and more smoothly. It's a good idea, and I'm impressed that the ads haven't had to redo the grade four science experiment explaining why it works. But why are they pushing this for Coors Light? If your big complaint about beer cans is, "the beer doesn't come out fast enough," then light beer is not what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment