Wednesday, December 11, 2013

You Haven't Got Mail!

We in Canada got the news today that our mail service is being greatly reduced. No residences will get mail delivered to home (we'll all have to deal with the supermailboxes) and the price of a stamp will go up from fifty-sixty-whatever-it-is all the way to a dollar.  It's all because no one mails anything anymore.

And because of that, I find myself not really caring.  I hardly ever mail anything, and the only mail I ever get are greeting cards, postcards, and bills.  This change will give me the impetus to finally switch my remaining paper bills to e-bills, and it might get others to go with e-cards.

That's the one thing that could go wrong with this move: Canada Post's reasoning is that mail volumes are way down, so they're trimming costs and increasing prices.  But that's just going to reduce the mail volumes further. The fact is, hardly anything needs snail-mailing any more, and I think we may have started to end it all together.

And once no people are mailing me, the only reason I'll ever check the mailbox is to empty out the advertising.  To bad you can't opt out of mail, the same way you can dump your land line.

But the real reason I'm worried about this is listening to old-timers complain about it.  I was already sick of hearing about how terrible it was that they closed the post offices and went with counters in convenience stores.  Now we're never going to hear the end of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment