Friday, December 27, 2013

Paging Fred Bloggs

I came across news of a study from a few years ago that explores the possibility that people are slightly more likely to choose a career that reflects their name.  You've probably seen a few examples of people whose profession lines up with their name; sprinter Usain Bolt is often given as an example. 

Apparently, it's called an aptronym.  Wikipedia has a list of some famous examples.

Interestingly, there's a person sharing my last name, James Roe, who is a rower.  I'd never considered this way of finding a career before.  The only time I've tried rowing was in a community dragon boat race once. I've never had an interest in fish eggs or Eurasian deer.  Including the meaning behind "Jason," (healer) I should be a veterinarian specializing in deer.  Other than an affinity for Bambi, that doesn't seem to fit my personality.  So back to What Colour Is Your Parachute? it is then.

No comments:

Post a Comment