Monday, December 23, 2013

Ma Slow Descent

The power was out for six hours during the ice storm. It turns out that wasn't nearly as bad as many people faced, with power out for days or more. Still, it was strange to be without power for so long. It’s been a long time since I’ve experienced a black-out that long, save for the Great Blackout of Aught-Three. But that was in the summer, and with the inside temperature plunging, it underlines our dependence on electricity much better than a little extra sweat without air conditioning does.

In looking back at my reaction, what's notable is how the feelings follow Maslow's hierarchy of needs.  That's the psychological theory that what we require as humans is arranged in a linear hierarchy where we satisfy the most basic needs before addressing more complex desires:
  • Physiological: It's freezing! Get my blanket. I'm hungry! Find all non-frozen, edible-at-room temperature foods.
  • Safety: What if it takes a week to get the power back, like the Quebec ice storm? Maybe we can stay somewhere else. No, looters will ransack the place. Rent a wood burning fireplace!
  • Belonging: I’m stuck here! I can’t phone anyone, because my three-quarters-of-a-battery phone charge has to last for the next week! Well, in a worst case scenario, I can hike to a friend’s place; we can huddle for warmth.
  • Esteem: I’m so dependent on modern conveniences. I can hear my ancestors laughing at me. But if I survive, it will be a great accomplishment.
  • Self-actualization: This will give me greater perspective on life, what we need, and what’s really important.

I think I’ve come through this as a better person, with a better understanding of humanity. So if I ever face that storm that is as bad as my worst fears, I’ll be in a good position to decide who we eat first.

No comments:

Post a Comment