Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Unseen At Any Speed

A weird thing happened on the highway today.  I had just pulled onto the highway, when I noticed there was a police car at the side of the road ahead.  Of course, it's good road manners to leave the lane by the shoulder if you see anyone parked there, for safety's sake (and it's now the law here in Ontario.)

The trouble was, as I had entered the highway, there was a truck beside me, so I couldn't move over.  Thus, I'd have to either pass the truck and pull in in front of it, or let it pass me, and pull in behind.  I was closer to the front of the truck, so I accelerated.

Only after committing to this action did it occur to me:  I've seen a police car ahead - obviously looking for speeders - and now I'm accelerating as I approach it.  Fortunately I made it past without the officer intervening. 

How?  It could be that I just wasn't going that fast to begin with, or that the police are more concerned with crazy-fast dangerous drivers than someone edging over the unofficial speed limit.  But I suspect that it's because my older, unassuming car doesn't attract attention.  As I tweeted a few weeks ago, I passed a Lamborghini on that same stretch of road; I assume that only happened because that driver knows his car is asking for a ticket and was driving accordingly.  For just a moment, I bet he was jealous of my automotive freedom.  A few more years and my car will be old enough to attract attention to itself, and the effect will be lost, but for now, I'm going to try to enjoy the automotive anonymity.

No comments:

Post a Comment