Tuesday, October 30, 2012

So This is Halloween

I suppose I should like Halloween.  It's like the dark counter-weight to Christmas: less uptight, no relentless pressure to be having a good time, and ultimately with more giving.  And yet, I don't seem to get it.

See, whenever I hear an adult reminisce about their wonderful memories about childhood, they always emphasise how great it was to pretend.  For this one day, a child can be anything they want.  And to that I say, isn't that pretty much every day for children.  If, as a child, I wanted to pretend I was something I wasn't, I just did it.  I didn't wait for one day a year to get all my imaginary stuff in at once.

If anything, Halloween seemed to be a curtailing of a child's imagination, since you have this vague limitation on what you could choose to be.  You were encouraged to be something scary.  But not something really scary, just scary-flavoured.  You could be a ghost or a witch or one of a number of other things children never voluntarily pretend to be.  But if you want to pretend you're a three-armed alien from Alpha Centauri, people will look at you funny.  Save that for, well, tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment