Thursday, July 26, 2012

Let the Games Begin

Watching the British getting ready for the Olympics, I'm starting to think that they are actually more enthusiastic about the games than the Chinese were.  Where's the traditional British cynicism?  I hear talk of whining or complaining among the people, but I expect more sophisticated complaints out of the UK.  Yes, they made the TV show Twenty Twelve, but I still find myself wishing I could see what Spitting Image would have done with the Olympics.

Anyway, the games are often seen as a symbol that the host nation has arrived on the world stage.  That was certainly the case with Beijing in 2008.  But Britain seems to be seeing it as keeping them on the world stage.  Which means there's even more pressure on them to put on a big show than there was for China, yet the British have to reach that high bar in the middle of a depressed economy.  I think the only way they'll create an opening ceremony as memorable as Beijing is if the mysterious flame lighter turns out to be Mr. Bean, who then proceeds to burn down the stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment