Sunday, July 22, 2012

In Soviet Russia, the Birds Watch You

I'm not a bird watcher, but I have picked up an interest from my parents.  Like so many people, I know it's only a matter of time until I buy binoculars and a Peterson Guide.  But even as a senior citizen, I don't see me having the patience for bird watching.

So I'm going to put my own spin on it, and become an Inverse Bird Watcher.  That is, I'm not going to count the different species of birds that I see; I'm going to count the different places I see birds.  Already I've compiled a pretty good list just this year:
  • my balcony
  • treeless urban streets
  • the local grocery store
  • several shopping malls
  • my building's parking garage

As long as sparrows keep reproducing and cities keep sprawling, my new hobby will keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment