Thursday, September 15, 2016

Using My Religion

Last week I saw a woman in a grocery store who was talking on the phone while shopping. That's not unusual these days, of course. And she was wearing a hijab. That's also not unusual these days. But here's what's notable: She had her phone tucked into her hijab so she could talk hands-free, while pushing the cart with both hands.

Of course this is a time when public displays of Islam are controversial, what with Europe having a hissy-fit over the "burkini." Yes, in Canada it was a joke on Little Mosque on the Prairie, but in Europe it's apparently the last straw. So I'm wondering if the phone-hijab will lead to more or less acceptance.

Sure, people who are just looking for something to get angry about will combine their hate of cell phones with their Islamaphobia. But for other people, I think they'll see this as something that humanizes muslims. Yes, they have silly little practical problems just like everyone else, and occasionally come up with clever little ideas.

And this isn't unusual, apparently. I've found that there are a number of practical secrets of hijab wearers, other than the phone trick. They can be used to cover both items and fashion faux pas. For instance, you can cover both earbuds and their wire, and no one will know you're listening to music. And here's the kicker: they'll be the only people on earth who won't be losing Apple's new bluetooth earbuds.

I'd always wondered if hijabs had more practical applications. I've seen women wearing ball caps under them, and wondered if they couldn't combine them into one item. A hijab with a built-in bill, presumably with logos of your favourite team on them, that would probably sell. I can't find any evidence of such things, despite the existence of sports yarmulkes. So there's a revenue source for you, sports teams. Now, my idea of a combined hijab/bike helmet may not be physically possible, so I won't hold my breath. Though I am pleased that there are some oh-so-Canadian knitted toque hijabs.

1 comment:

  1. My take is some religion is better than no religion. They may go through a rough 300-400 years, but will join the human race.
    But someone less enlightened might think that a phone strapped to other people's head is a great way to reduce their numbers by cancer. A wired headset or Bluetooth is better.

    ReplyDelete