Saturday, September 10, 2016

My Tiff With TIFF

It's time for the Toronto International Film Festival, or TIFF. I kind of dread hearing about it. Sure,  I like movies, and I'm proud that we've got one of the world's biggest festivals here in Canada.  What I hate is how the Canadian media goes all star-struck and treats it like a big celebrity get together.

Yes,  there are a lot of celebrities in town, but the whole event is about movies, so that should be the focus of the reporting,  not whether you saw Leo on the red carpet.   And I realize that there are plenty of people out there who want to hear about celebrities, but we've created specialized outlets for those people.  They aren't watching the news I'm  watching, they're watching a bunch of celebrity-focused news programs I could try recounting the names of, but won't for fear of embarrassing myself.

So CBC News Network shouldn't be excitedly reporting celebrity sightings first and movie news second,  since the viewership has different priorities.  If got really cared about fame,  you shouldn't be working at the national broadcaster, you should have sold your soul and gone to work at CTV.

No comments:

Post a Comment