Monday, September 29, 2014

Occupying The Passing Lane

It's kind of forgotten now, but when Bill Clinton was first elected, he was promising a health care system. Of course, that effort went nowhere, and other aspects of Clinton's presidency are better remembered. So now we rarely remember "Clintoncare" except when some smartass reminds everyone that Republicans of the day made a counter-proposal that looked a whole lot like Obamacare.

So it's hard to believe now, but there was actually a computer game simulation of the health care effort. It was from the makers of SimCity (and lesser known contemporaries like SimEarth and SimAnt.)  Obviously, it was called SimHealth

I remember this, because of the first time I saw the SimHealth box in a store. I picked up the box to read it, partly out of interest in the game, partly out of amazement that such a thing exists. As I'm reading the box, a little kid wanders by, sees which game I'm looking at, and says, "I heard that game's too hard." And I thought, my god, I'm in a political cartoon.

That incident comes to mind because I found myself in another political cartoon today on the highway. Two semis were driving in the two right lanes. A Prius was about to pass them, but it got cut-off by a Cadillac driving wildly and way over the speed limit.  You've got business on the right, the rich ignoring laws, wiping out the middle class and hurting the environment.  All we needed was to work a Hummer into the scenario too.

No comments:

Post a Comment