Monday, February 17, 2014

Henderson Has Scored For Canada, Or So I'm Told

This may seem surprising, but it was only recently that I finally saw Sidney Crosby's gold-medal-winning goal from 2010. See, I was so sick of the jingoistic hype about Canada's Olympics that I skipped the final.

So why would I assume that I would have seen a goal in a game that I purposely avoided? Well, for a person interested in sports, you would think I'd have seen such a momentous play several times over the course of a few years. I've seen the Paul Henderson goal several times as parts of retrospectives and top-ten lists. Heck, a sports fan probably sees that clip of a guy running through the outfield wall at least once a year.

But the Crosby goal is absent in the sports-highlight-osphere. Yes, the copyright protection on that telecast is so strong that the closest we get is stills of Crosby's celebration after the goal.

On the one hand, I'm glad that the immovable object of Olympic copyright protected me from the irresistible force of Canada's hockey ego. But on the other, this was a big moment that meant a lot to Canadians, but they can't relive it. And what is this legal taboo for? I guess to help CTV sell Olympic DVDs. And also to preserve the value of selling the rights to anyone willing to pony up. In this case, that would be Air Canada, which is why I first saw one of the most celebrated moments in Canadian sport as part of a commercial.

No comments:

Post a Comment