Sunday, February 2, 2014

Changing Clothes

Apparently the 90's are back. I noticed a months ago when I passed a clothing store and realised it was completely day-glo. This after all the day-glo material in the world had disappeared, except for that little bit the Seattle Seahawks have on their uniforms. So congratulations, Seahawks, you not only won the Superbowl, you've also lived out the male fantasy of keeping clothes long enough for them to come back into style.

And I recently saw an article about the Hypercolor shirts, the ones that changed colour depending on their exposure to heat. At the time the workings of the shirts was a mystery to us all, but now such secrets are just a web search away. What old mystery will the Internet ruin next, showing us how The Noid was animated?

Hypercolor shirts weren't that great. They really just looked like moody tie-dye shirts. Of course, now that I write that, I suppose it was apropos for the times. But it seemed kind of disappointing for the latest in clothing technology. About the only time you saw the shirts do anything interesting was when you could see the outline of a chair on someone's back when they stood up. I suppose you could have done some interesting things on conjunction with the Magic Bag which came out around the same time, but we weren't that clever.

Here's the question I did have about Hypercolor shirts at the time, and I would have asked on my blog then if such things existed: why would you want people to know how warm you are? You pay money for deodorant so that people won't know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment