Saturday, January 4, 2014

Who's In Centre Field?

The American Dialect Society has chosen "because" as its word of the year.  I know, you were expecting either a young-people's slang term, or a tech term that some editor thinks is about to take off.  So, they chose a word that has existed since time immemorial.  As you might guess, a Dialect Society is a little more sophisticated than a mainstream dictionary, so they are not choosing a word so much as a use of a word.

They're choosing its new and trendy use as an agrammatical expression of vague explanation, as in, "I'm writing about words because boredom."

It's interesting because just the other day, I had one of my epiphanies where I suddenly and immediately get tired of a trend.  I read yet another tweet using "because reasons," and I was finally done with it.  This use of because can be useful to ridicule lack of reasoning, (e.g. "because science") but it's just become a grating way to excuse laziness.  So I'm going to create my own uses of words, result fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment