Thursday, January 9, 2014

He's Not Just Tough, He's Sold

Tonight, country singer Will Hoge performed on Letterman. I had not heard of him before, but he just got one line out of his mouth before I - along with most of the viewers, I'm sure - said, "it's the pickup commercial song!"

Of course, we're getting used to the idea of commercials using songs from less-famous artists. But still, this song, glorifying a hard-working, reliable truck-owner, seemed to mesh with the truck ad atmosphere so well, I assumed it had been custom-written for the ad campaign.

I'm not sure artists are going to be totally happy with the close association with products. Musicians got comfortable with the idea of selling music to commercials a while back, around the time changing media made it harder to make a living off CD sales, and to get their music discovered by listeners. But it can't be good for your career when people heart your song and think of trucks, not you.

No comments:

Post a Comment