Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Skipping Meals

I made jokes recently about Soylent, a Silicon Valley startup that is making a nutrient drink that can replace any meal. Let's put aside the name and look at the product, since it's an interesting idea: a drink that provides for all the human body's nutritional needs.  Many people react with disgust at this concept, and it seems to be more than just their ill-chosen name.

The premise of this product seem to be, why eat food when you don't have to? I can understand why that question rubs people the wrong way: I'm no foodie, but even I get enough enjoyment out of eating that I wouldn't want to give it up for convenience. Thus, the company is being characterized as the geek lifestyle run wild, in which physical activities are just an inconvenience.

But really, I think the company may be on to something. While I often enjoy eating, I do also consider it inconvenient at times. I'm trying to picture myself at the moment I'm about to prepare a meal, and giving myself the offer that I can give up the pleasure of this meal, and with it, the inconvenience of preparation and washing. If I'm being honest, I have to admit that for many meals - probably the majority of them - my answer would be to just skip it.  Looking at it that way, it seems like a good deal: go ahead and treat yourself to your favourite food occasionally, a weekly big production of a meal, and the odd dinner out.  But then replace the rest of the meals.  The leftovers, the frozen stuff, the generic sandwiches and cereal: just take a quick drink and be done with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment