Tuesday, April 2, 2013

On Canvas, From Los Angeles

I was just looking through the artwork from a Saturday Night Live art show in L.A.  As with anything that retrospectives the entire SNL history, I'm ready to get angry if they've over-emphasized something I hate (I just know there's going to be too much Mary Catherine Gallagher and not enough Church Lady.)  But in this case, I wasn't left angry, just surprised.  What did I learn?
  • There's way less mythologising of the original cast than I expected.  (How could you not do a Samurai Tailor poster?)
  • People really loved "Toonces the Driving Cat" and Matt "van down by the river" Foley
  • And that one-off sketch where Chris Farley tries out for the Chippendales against Patrick Swayze made a big impact.  
  • Stefon is the most popular current character, which is fitting because an art gallery that would have an SNL art show is just the sort of place he'd like.
  • Christopher Walken is more popular than most of the cast members.
  • Kind of off topic, but where was Father Guido Sarducci during the Papal change?

No comments:

Post a Comment