Wednesday, April 17, 2013

alt.music.will

Will.i.am has a new album out.  As a side note, I'll point out that I'm typing this on my phone, so I didn't bother trying to type his name correctly with all the periods.  That would give the autocorrect fits - I'll fix it later.


Anyway, what caught my eye is that the album if called, "#Willpower".  Yes, the hashtag is seriously part of the name.  I mean, a guy named, "Will" calling his album "willpower" is a pretty lame pun to begin with, but a hashtag?  That's so three years ago. Why don't you just call it, "willpower.com" ? 


And that's what I don't get: how the Black-Eyed Peas seem to be teflon for uncoolness. Obviously, hipsters have hated them from the beginning, but you'd think that their awkward attempts to stay famous while milking that fame for all it's worth would have doomed them by now. Compare them to Madonna: she had to mine underground gay dance clubs for trends that would keep her relevant. Little did she know that one day pop stars would stay atop the heap using cultural touchstones your grandmother would recognize.

No comments:

Post a Comment