Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Licensed To (Speak) Ill


It's always difficult to talk about a person who has recently died.  We don't want to "speak ill of the dead" and in global media where the grieving family may see our words, we don't want to make their wounds any worse, even if we disliked the deceased themselves.
Thanks to an unfortunate wrinkle, this is how my copy of the KW Record memorialised Margaret Thatcher

We're seeing this problem played out with Margaret Thatcher.  She was a highly divisive figure, who raises a lot of intense feelings.  I can understand not wanting to come down too hard on her right now, even though I was not a fan myself.  But at the same time, you have to truthfully acknowledge the effect she had on people.

What makes it worse is that we're far enough removed from the actual events of her public life that many people today don't really understand them.  Thus we are inundated with unspecific praise of her steadfastness.  That's a pet peeve of mine: we're so used to wimpy public figures we end up praising anyone who holds to their convictions, and don't examine the convictions themselves.  Really, I think that a person who worked for specific ideals - rather than playing the political game for it's own sake - wouldn't want such generic praise.

Personally, Thatcher's effect on my life was twofold:
  • The impact she left on British music (And in case you're wondering, no, they haven't forgiven her.)
  • Being the main character in British satirical show Spitting Image.
And speaking of the latter, I recall they had a good spoof of celebrity deaths, which I found on YouTube.  But first, let me explain: 1) No, I don't know why the previous sketch involves Spock in Julius Caesar, and 2) Sid Little is a comedian.

No comments:

Post a Comment