Tuesday, December 18, 2012

One Revelation Per Post

For several years now, I've been following the story of One Laptop Per Child.  It's an effort to develop a cheap and durable laptop that can be distributed to children in developing countries.  It's interesting to me because it combines global altruism with technology.  It also came from Nicholas Negroponte, director of MIT's Media Lab, which is my favourite unfocussed academic institution.

So you can imagine how surprised I was to see this ad for OLPC Canada:



Really?  Gene Simmons?  I guess he might have similar interests to mine.  And it's good to see that he's lending his celebrity to a cause.  I've never seen Bono do a One Laptop Per Child ad.

But then it hit me.  I'm caught up on which celebrity is unexpectedly promoting a charity, and totally missed the real shock: native Canadian kids have to resort to a product designed to help kids in the Third World.

No comments:

Post a Comment