Thursday, March 10, 2016

From The Past Until Completion

You may have seen this video of a group called "Orkestra Obsolete" using old instruments to play New Order's 1983 synthpop classic, "Blue Monday":



(And here's the original for comparison.)

It's all using instruments from the 1930's.  It may seem like cheating to use actual electronics, but that granddaddy of electronic instruments, the Theremin, dates back all the way to 1920.  I can't seem to find much information on this "Orkestra Obsolete," so I don't know if they're going to do more of these anachronistic covers.  I hope so; I want them to try Steampunk where they actually use steam to perform punk.

So if you could have made a pretty good approximation of 1980's electronic pop fifty years ago, I wonder what the people of the 1930's would have thought of it. Because it sounds so unlike any music of the time, I'm guessing they wouldn't have liked it. And that brings up a point I've heard people make before: like it or not, technology shapes our musical styles.  For instance, bass sounds have become more popular along with the abilities of our speakers.

So that makes me wonder: it was possible for people in the past to create modern music with what they had available, it just wasn't easy.  So just how many different styles of music might be possible, but difficult, today?

No comments:

Post a Comment