Friday, February 12, 2016

Rub-A-Dub-Dub

What's the deal with the new-bathtub-over-the-old-one concept? I mean, I understand the concept, and it's actually pretty clever. It's just that they seem to be selling it pretty hard. You see the ads on TV, in newspapers, even kiosks at the mall. I'm just suspicious of something they have to work so hard to sell. And also the fact that they have to keep explaining it. I mean, I rent, so I'm not in the market for such things, yet I've picked it up the concept just by osmosis.

And is it just me, or is the concept a little lazy? Don't take the old thing out, just cover it up. If that's such a good idea, why hasn't it been extended to other things? You could easily cover sinks the same way. And if there were anything in the bathroom that you'd just throw up your hands and say cover out over, I don't want to deal with it, it would be the toilet. Surely they could have a new toilet they could just drop over the existing one. Heck, apply this to entire houses: Don't rebuild, just put a newer house inside the old one.

Of course, that new house would have to be smaller, out at least have smaller rooms. But that brings up the question of the bath fitter endgame. After a few generations of covering up our inconvenient tubs, each time making them a little smaller. we'll be stuck with these big, chunky bathtubs, which are too narrow for us to fit in. So we'll all have to lose weight. But why struggle to build a new body when you can just put a new one over your old one.

No comments:

Post a Comment