Tuesday, February 16, 2016

I Still Get Paid The Same As I Normally Do, Right?

You remember clip shows?  That's where a TV show makes an episode out of clips from previous episodes, usually set up by the characters reminiscing about the past. They don't seem as popular as they once were, and I imagine that in the Netflix era they'll completely disappear.  After all, if the viewers want to relive past episodes, they can just relive past episodes.

But why not do the same thing for blogs?  I could put together a post that's made up of links to past entries.  I got the idea for this because in the last week I've often found myself thinking, "I should write about that - oh, wait, I already did, history is just repeating itself again."

I see OK Go has made another memorable video that's getting viral attention.  Once again, they're surprisingly comfortable with that set up.  But I believe I mentioned that before...(Imagine blurry dream-sequence effect then click here.)

Stephen Fry was criticized for joking during the BAFTA awards that a certain recipient looked like a "bag lady." That he would take flak for that is significant, since he's complained in the past that people in today's society are too fast to take offense.  After receiving the criticism, he quit Twitter.  Boy, for a guy who expects everyone to accept jokes and insults without offense, he sure gets offended easily.  Didn't I say that once before?...(click here.)

Hey, there's more news about the supposed Apple car.  There's a company in California that is believed to be owned by Apple, and neighbours are complaining about "motor noises" coming from one of their buildings.  That same company has bought an oddball classic car, possibly as design inspiration.
There's talk that internally, Apple execs are worried that the project is draining too much time and attention from the company's other businesses.  I could have sworn I heard someone say that building a car would be much too large an undertaking...(Cut to a much younger version of myself typing away at a keyboard and click here.) 

Having said that, Jason Torchinsky from Jalopnik has an unusual but intriguing theory about the nature of the project.  He thinks Apple is building a fully-autonomous vehicle for goods only, not human passengers.  Order something on line and your car will automatically go out and pick it up.  That's essentially flipping the script on e-commerce as usual: instead of Amazon using mail, couriers and drones to get things to your door, you take responsibility for going and getting them.  I'm not sure that's any more efficient, but making a vehicle not meant for people would relieve Apple of a lot of the difficulties of car design, like crashworthiness standards.

Appologies for that bit of original thought at the end of an otherwise repetitive article. But I see the flimsy excuse to have all our characters sit around talking about the past has cleared up, so we can go on with our lives.  See you for original adventures next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment