Saturday, February 21, 2015

I'll Just Go To The After Party

It's Oscar time again!  Is it just me, or does it seem like people aren't really looking forward to it this year?  Sure, they're talking about making predictions, and talking about covering the red carpet.  But it seems like they're going through the motions. 

I don't know why; many of the leading movies seem pretty accessible.  There's controversy over American Sniper.  People can get angry over Selma getting left out - they love to complain about the Academy's decisions. 

I guess it's partly the movies themselves:  I'm glad Julianne Moore will finally win an Oscar, but playing a facing Alzheimer's disease is such a clichéd way of doing it.  It's nice that Birdman is doing well, but it doesn't seem to have the hipster popularity that will lead to Pulp Fiction/Forrest Gump style anger when it doesn't win.  And I'm supposed to care whether the best actor is they guy playing Stephen Hawking or Alan Turing? 

So when I consider watching the three-plus hours of the telecast, it seems like seven or eight. I've never felt better about ignoring it and reading the winners' list in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment