Thursday, February 26, 2015

Checking The Canary In The Data Mine

We're getting used to the idea that advertisers have a huge amount of information about us, and they can use it to target us with ads tailored to our needs and wants.  You may have seen the story about how Target sent pregnancy-related ads to a teen girl, shocking her father who didn't know she was pregnant.  (Yep, that how smart Target is in the U.S.)


It often works.  This ad isn't quite what I'm looking for, but it's close:
I'm not in the market for a lightsaber, but if anyone is going to buy one for personal defence or recreational purposes, it would likely be me.


Then I saw this ad:
That's awful specific.  I wonder what Big Data incantations gave them the idea I'm working on a first-generation Mustang.


But then there's this one:
That's right: Nielsen.  The people who study audiences.  Somehow, they served me up an ad in Chinese.


No comments:

Post a Comment