Thursday, December 11, 2014

I'm Dreaming Of A Wide Christmas

I'm one of those people who hates the coming of Christmas music. No, I don't have anything against Christmas or its music; it's the ubiquitousness of it. Yes, I know, I've mentioned this before. Having it going constantly, everywhere, for a month is a bit much.

But today I realized there is a potential positive: in trying to fill the airwaves with songs on a single topic, music programmers have to reach outside of their normal confines of time and genre. Just in the past few minutes waiting in a drug store, I've heard fifties, soul, and the Beach Boys.

A lot of people would consider that to be another negative, but I consider it a positive. I'd actually like a radio station that would play anything. Maybe it was being raised on the necessarily eclectic tastes of one music video channel that tried to be all things to all people.

So that's a good thing about Christmas, forcing us to break out of our normally strict music formats.  And it's all thanks to the limited number of Christmas songs.  So all you ignored genres, this is your ticket to greater exposure.  Polka, blues, free jazz: get recording.

No comments:

Post a Comment