Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Training Camp

A while back I was discussing throwback uniforms in sports, and I made a throw-away suggestion that teams should make up fake throwback outfits, rather than some of the ugly or forgettable uniforms they use now.  I didn't expand on that idea, but I was also thinking that some of the newer teams should create their own fake old-fashioned uniforms. It turns out that the Tampa Bay Rays have done exactly that: they've created outfits that are a pretty convincing example of what the team would have worn around 1980, if not for the fact that the team was actually created in 1998. Better still, these uniforms have become known as "fauxbacks" which should ensure it will become a trend.

Good for them. I award them one free exemption from my cursing them for either their ugly stadium, or continually defeating my Blue Jays. Speaking of which, that's kind of who I was expecting would start the trend: a team like the Jays, founded in the sixties or seventies, creating fake uniforms from the twenties and thirties since those are regarded as the game's golden age (by white people.)

So now I predict the next trend: the really famous, iconic teams - the Yankees and Celtics of the world that never change their uniforms - will have throwbacks to the uniforms they might have had in previous eras. They'll show what they would have work to chase the trends, if they weren't "better" than all that.  Here are a couple of suggestions:


Since these are fake uniforms that are indulging in the tackiness of the past, I dub them "fauxtacks." I look forward to all the expensive players in this kitschy clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment